Dr. Darshika G. Perera
- PhD in Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
- MSc in Electrical Engineering (System-on-Chip Design), Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden
- BSc in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Embedded systems, reconfigurable computing, and digital systems;
- Partial and dynamic reconfiguration on FPGAs, special-purpose architectures, hardware-software co-design, ASIC/FPGA-based architectures and techniques, system-on-chip (SoC) design, computer architecture;
- Hardware acceleration techniques, architectures, and methodologies for various application domains including data mining/analytics, machine learning and deep learning, control systems including model predictive control algorithms for battery management systems for electric vehicles, image registration for medical imaging, bioinformatics including genetic algorithms for sequence alignment;
- Hardware security including security and cryptography on FPGAs;
- Multi-ported memory architectures for FPGAs
- Embedded systems designs/architectures
- Digital circuits and systems
- FPGA/ASIC designs and architectures
- Microprocessor/Microcontroller systems
- Reconfigurable computing systems
Honors and Awards
- Teacher of the Year – Tenure Track Award (2018-2019), from Engineering and Applied Science (EAS) College, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, April 2019.
- Best Poster Paper Award for the paper titled “An FPGA-Based Hardware Accelerator for K-Nearest Neighbor Classification for Machine Learning on Mobile Devices”, at the IEEE/ACM
- Best Paper Award for the paper titled “FPGA-Based Reconfigurable Hardware for Compute Intensive Data Mining Applications” at the 6th IEEE International Conference on P2P, Parallel, Grid, Cloud, and Internet Computing (3PGCIC’11), in Barcelona, Spain, October 2011.
Dr. Perera received her Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from University of Victoria (Canada), and M.Sc. and B.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden) and University of Peradeniya (Sri Lanka) respectively. She is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS), USA. Prior to joining UCCS, Dr. Perera worked as the Senior Engineer and Group Leader of Embedded Systems at CMC Microsystems, Canada. Her major research interests are reconfigurable computing, mobile and embedded systems, data mining, and digital systems. Dr. Perera received the “Teacher of the Year – Tenure Track Award” from the Engineering and Applied Science Collage, UCCS, in April 2019. She also received a best paper award at the IEEE 3PGCIC’11 conference in 2011, and a best poster paper award at the ACM HEART’18 symposium in 2018. She serves on organizing and program committees for several IEEE/ACM conferences and workshops, and as a reviewer for several IEEE, Springer, and Elsevier journals. Dr. Perera is a Senior Member of the IEEE, the IEEE CAS VLSI and Computer Societies, and the IEEE Women in Engineering. Currently, she serves on the VLSI Systems and Applications Technical Committee (VSATC) of IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, and also serves as an Associate Editor of the Elsevier Microelectronics Journal (MEJ).